Tuesday, July 19, 2011

A well-written literature guide can be a real aide, providing thoughtful questions and activities that extend the students understanding. With that in mind, I checked on-line for guides to A Single Shard. I found 4. I decided to get the Guide for Using a Single Shard in the Classroom by Teacher Created Materials $8.99 to evaluate myself. See the next post.

The second guide I looked at, A Single Shard by Marie-Helen Goyetche $12.95, had a cover surprised me. I think middle school students would find it too childish, so I am suspicious of the content, perhaps unfairly. I have included it in the list, despite my doubts, given that she has a series of guides available.

The other 2 guides I found at TeachersPayTeachers.com, a site I have used often as a substitute teacher. Although these 2 cost about $10 each, the site has lots of free and inexpensive materials by teachers, often classroom tested, and usually very well done. I have been very happy with the items I have gotten from the site. On that basis, and on my examination of the samples the guide author’s provide on their site, I would recommend checking out the TeachersPayTeachers.com guides that follow.

Comprehension/Activity Guide $9.00 27-Page Student Guide (59 total pages with answer key, grading rubrics, key vocabulary, short comprehension test, and other activities)

This is one of the most comprehensive reading guides you will find directly related to the book A Single Shard by Linda Sue Park (2002 Newbery Award winner). Included in this packet is a 27-page student guide with an emphasis on reading strategies such as predicting, visualizing, connecting, making inferences, and more. Also included in this packet is a detailed answer key, over 75 chapter-by-chapter key vocabulary words with definitions that fit the story, a short 5-question comprehension test with answer key, a social networking activity, end of the novel project ideas, and discussion questions for each chapter. Also included is a guided reading rubric to assess your students in areas such as fluency, comprehension, vocabulary, and predicting, along with a useful tool to use for scoring when working with groups of children.

A Single Shard: L-I-T Guide $10.95 Chapter-by-Chapter literature unit for A Single Shard. This unit is packed with vocabulary questions, discussion questions, and a story summary. Four or five literary devices and skills are spotlighted.

No comments:

Post a Comment